Thursday, August 14, 2014

Vs. System Lives?


Well, sort of. In case you missed it, Upper Deck announced today at GenCon that they are reviving Vs. System in the form of a Living Card Game (LCG). Here's a link to a homemade video of the announcement.

I haven't seen many details yet, but the word from people at GenCon is that old CCG-era cards are not legal in the new LCG incarnation of Vs. I understand that they need to make money from this venture, and I guess some people will be OK with what they are doing, but as of now I am not one of them.

The cards in the pictures are all reprints of cards from MOR that we already had. But we can't use our old copies. Thanks so much, Upper Deck. From what I see so far, this is not what anyone except your stockholders was asking for. What we wanted was for you to clean up some of the messes you made previously (via bans and erratas of cards that were poorly thought out), introduce some exciting new cards that we didn't have already, and reestablish the game (hobby leagues, organized play in some form, etc). What you've done instead, apparently, is reprint and repackage a few of the old cards and then asked everyone who supported your game, even when you didn't support it yourself, to throw away all of their old cards and buy new ones. Gee, where do I sign up?

Of course, I am working with third and fourth hand information right now, and maybe I will like the official words better than the unofficial ones, but right now my take is that our favorite company has once again proven themselves to be utterly clueless. I hope I'm wrong.



No comments: