Tuesday, September 2, 2014

My Strange Addiction


Late last week I came down with a bit of the stomach crud, and found myself with a lot of time on my hands. As I indicated in my last post, I had become very enamored with this concept of custom Vs. cards (not new cards, really, but custom designs for existing cards). All the software needed to design these cards is readily available for download, and I'm a software guy myself, so I thought, "I can do this." I downloaded and installed all the files, then started looking for documentation for Magic Set Editor 2. If there is any, I couldn't find it. But when I Googled "magic set editor tutorial," I found a YouTube video that showed how to design a simple custom Magic card. After watching it, I was off and running. (There is also a written tutorial available, but the video was sufficient for me.)

It took a little while to figure certain things out, since the workflow for doing a Vs. System card is not the same as it would be for a Magic card, but only the first card is hard. After that, they get progressively easier to do. I was pretty happy with how the first one turned out (the Batman card, pictured above), so I did another one. Then another. And another. After a while, I was ready for another challenge: a slider. These are pairs of cards that are designed as one. I'm not sure how many cards like this UDE did back in the day, but I know there were some in Justice League and Legion, maybe Heralds as well? I can't remember. Anyway, the slider concept allows you to create a pair of cards that are intended to look good on their own but even better when they are placed side-by-side. Here's my first one:


By this time I was absolutely hooked. I had done maybe a dozen regular cards and this slider, and as soon as I finished one card I already had at least one idea for another. By the end of the weekend I had done over 70 cards, and that's not counting the ones that I scrapped after finding better images.

Speaking of which, if you decide to try this yourself, here are some tips for finding images. First, use Google, comicvine.com, and Pinterest to find the images. Second, when using Google, use the Search Tools option so you can filter by size. Use 800x600 or larger if possible, since you will need to crop quite a bit to fit the image in the card frame. Third, add "comic" to the search criteria if you are getting a lot of movie-related images, as you will when searching for things like X-Men, Batman, Avengers, etc. Finally, if you know artists' names, search by artist when you can. That will filter things out considerably. Searching for "david finch art" or "michael turner art" on Pinterest will get you a lot of high quality hits, for example.

I've posted all my designs on Facebook in the Vs System Custom Designs group that I mentioned earlier, but here are a few of my favorites. The Crackshot card got a big assist from Joey Tufo, who suggested using the tip of the arrow as the A in Crackshot. The sunshine effect at the top left of the San card was pure serendipity.

Update:

Here is some more information about how to install and set up Magic Set Editor to create cards like these. First, here's a link to a README file with instructions on how to set MSE up for doing Vs. cards:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30144584/Read%20Me%20First.doc

There is a link in the README file to the installation program. You will also need these two files:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30144584/fonts.rar
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30144584/data.rar

Once you have everything installed, when you create a new set, select Vs System as the game type, and New EA as the card style. Once the set is created, click on Set info and set the logo to Marvel or DC, set the Set rarity to Promo, and set Automatic card numbers to No. That should get you started.



8 comments:

Unknown said...

I downloaded the Magic Set Editor 2, and tried to make edgeless VS cards my self, but was unable. Is there a new template that needs to be downloaded as well?

kansashoops said...

Sorry about that. Here's a link to a README file with instructions on how to set MSE up for doing Vs. cards:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30144584/Read%20Me%20First.doc

You will also need these two files. I believe the EXE you have will work, but if not there is a link in the README file to one that will.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30144584/fonts.rar
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30144584/data.rar

Once you have everything installed, when you create a new set, select Vs System as the game type, and New EA as the card style. Once the set is created, click on Set info and set the logo to Marvel or DC, set the Set rarity to Promo, and set Automatic card numbers to No.

That should get you started.

Justice Lords said...

Are the new fonts/data.rar file still available? I tried to download it but it was a bad link.

Thanks

kansashoops said...

Sorry. I guess I deleted those files from DropBox. Please try again.

Anonymous said...

Hey kansashoops. Love your blog, and now I'm getting addicted to making custom cards. I was wondering if you knew of a way to add the affiliation symbols to the affiliation part of the New EA card. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to display like the way it does with New Style.

kansashoops said...

I know generally how to do it, but I am not the best person to ask. Are you part of the VS System Custom Designs forum on Facebook? That's the best place to ask. There are a couple of guys on there who know exactly what to do. It requires changing the style file in the "Program Files (x86)\Magic Set Editor 2\data\vs-new.mse-style" directory. Someone probably already has a plug-in replacement that enables the affiliation symbols. I do not, because I never cared for them.

Laurent said...

Hello.

Your template is a great template. I would like use it, but the data file link is down... Can you make it available ?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hey Hoops,

I was wondering if the templates are still available. Yours are the cleanest. I want to make some sets for my nephews.