Friday, September 19, 2014

More Fun With Custom Cards


The addiction continues. I've spent a lot of spare time recently working on a variety of custom card themes. Several Power Girl cards.


Lots of Flash cards.



A few Hulk cards.


A bunch of Fantastic Four cards.


Some Captain America ones.


Not to mention Wolverine.


And cards for my X-Mental deck.


But things really got crazy once I started Photoshopping cards. It all started innocently enough with an attempt to simulate the silver colored Emma Frost Easter egg card, which turned out pretty cool.


Then my friend Joey suggested that I color the frame silver as well. That led to the card at the beginning of the article. Which in turn led to this variation on the theme. (I like Emma better.)


Those were plenty challenging, especially Emma, but by then I was ready for an even bigger challenge. A couple of the guys in the Facebook group who design custom cards, Steven Williams and Chris Tillison, had been experimenting with "3D cards," where portions of the card frame were replaced with portions of the underlying image. I decided to give those a try. The first one was relatively easy.


Not so, this one.


And most definitely not this one, by far my most ambitious.


Anyway, that's what I've been having fun with lately. I expect I will burn out on this pretty soon, and then I'll go back to actually playing the game and writing about the decks I'm playing with. In the meantime, here are a few more of my favorites. I hope you enjoy them.





2 comments:

CResurreccion said...

Hey. I ran into your profile looking for VS cards to build for my friends and their kids. I was wondering about the cost and how you ended up printing your cards.

kansashoops said...

There's a public Dropbox folder with all my custom card designs.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ps407otgt8swtsz/AAAFw_fevFeoRLLUGNXREMPZa?dl=0

In that folder is a text file, MPC Ordering.txt, with full details on ordering cards from them.

Cost depends on size of the order and the shipping method, but it generally costs about the same as buying singles of non-rares from a store like Coolstuff (roughly 30 cents apiece).