Wednesday, November 18, 2015

More VS 2PCG EA Cards


After I finished all my Full Metal EA cards, I decided to go ahead and create a new template that was as close to Upper Deck's design as I could get. Since I already had most of the building blocks in place, it wasn't that hard to do. The results were pretty nice, and I ended up liking them better than my own design.



The Deadpool card was inspired by Back to The Future Day (October 21st 2015).

After I finished, I decided it might be kind of cool to have oversized main character cards, similar to the giant-sized cards in Coming of Galactus and those for the Alter Ego format, but smaller and playable alongside regular cards. I checked MakePlayingCards.com and found that they could make cards that were 3.5" x 5.75", and I thought that sounded like exactly like what I had in mind. So I created new versions of my EA templates with that card size in mind.

The template was fairly easy to create, but designing the cards was a pain because the card images were 700x1150 (as opposed to the usual 500x700). Fortunately I had just ordered a new 32" monitor, and designing the cards in Magic Set Editor was much easier to deal with once I was able to start running my display at 2560x1440.

I did two versions of the template, a portrait and a landscape version. The landscape cards look cool, but they feel a little weird to play with.





It was a fun project, but I am beginning to think this game is not going to be around for much longer. Upper Deck still hasn't come out with anything in the way of OP, and interest in the game is waning rapidly as a result. If past history is indicative of future results, they will release the Defenders expansion that they have (quietly) announced, make some fast money out of it, then promptly kill the game. Again.

Sigh.

The other regular-sized designs are here, while ready-to print (by MakePlayingCards.com) versions of them are here. Oversized card designs are here. MPC versions here.

No comments: